This dish came from the bowels of my deserted pantry. I usually always have rice, chicken, and bell peppers. I’ve been trying recipes from this one site [mentioned below] and so one of their recipes gave me some inspiration!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup yellow rice + 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to directions (approx 2 3/4 cups water in rice cooker)
- 2 cups of your preference of rice is just fine
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 green onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Queso Fresco
- Southwest Seasoning (straight from bakingwithjoshandange.com)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Use a large pot. Heat over medium high. Add a large drizzle of olive oil. Add chicken, sprinkle half the seasoning on chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Also, start cooking rice according to directions whether or not the directions recommend in a rice cooker or on the stove. (Approx 20-30 minutes)
- Add garlic, green onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño to pot with chicken. Lower to medium heat.
- Break apart chicken and vegetables to become bite-sized pieces, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.