I wanted to share this recipe that I developed and I have since made it SOOOO many times. I love the idea of having so many vegetables and beans and taking something scary like TVP (textured vegetable protein) and turning it into a delicious meal!
- 1 red, orange, and yellow bell pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced and cut in half crosswise
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed, reserve bean liquid
- 15 oz can corn, drained
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1 lime
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz frozen veggie “meat” crumbles (amount per package will vary between brands)
- 1-2 packets fajita or taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet (with cover), add veggie crumbles and cook on medium high heat for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers. Sprinkle 1 packet of fajita/taco seasoning and stir to combine. Add all reserved bean liquid. Toss thoroughly to combine. Cover and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes, until peppers and onions are soft, tossing occasionally.
- Add black beans, corn, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, and half the cilantro. Taste for flavor and add additional fajita/taco seasoning if desired. Taste again and add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Serve taco mixture over rice, by itself, or as taco filling.
Top with sour cream, cheese, pico de gallo, and cilantro!