Marinara sauce is very simple to make. The awesome thing about it is that you can add almost anything to make it your own. Some people add carrots, onions, pine nuts, red wine and even chopped spinach.
- Two 28 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
- 10.5 ounces package of Cherubs tomatoes, or grape/cherry tomatoes
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 8 ounce package of Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon or ground oregano
- 4 large sweet basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Begin by adding the olive oil to a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until just soft, about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Next add the tomatoes. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the tomatoes start to burst. If you have safety goggles, put those on. Begin smashing the tomatoes with your cooking utensil. Add the mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes. Season mixture lightly with salt and pepper. Next add the cans of crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat to simmer. Add your oregano, basil and garlic and season lightly with salt. Since there is some salt in the canned tomatoes, you’ll want to taste your sauce and season a pinch at a time until you are happy. Cook for 30-60 minutes depending how soft you want your mushrooms and how hungry you are. Serve over pasta or with dipping bread.