My idea of puff pastry apple dumplings evolved into something I am quite proud of. I took one of my favorite ingredients, cream cheese, and combined it into a sopapilla, apple pie, ooey-gooey dessert. I get a lot of ideas that I want to see come to fruition but I’m just not sure how to get there. When I combine my ept for trying new things and my amatuer internet searching skills, I come up with yummy comfort foods.
Apple-Cream Cheese Mini Pies
- One 17 oz package puff pastry, thawed per directions
- 2 medium apples, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
- One 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Mix cream cheese, apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Lightly dust a dark baking sheet with flour.
- Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry. Spoon apple mixture into 9 separate piles, leaving enough space around to create 9 separate pies. You may have mixture left over.
- Place the other sheet of puff pastry on top and with your finger, seal the 2 sheets together around each pile of apple mixture.
- With a knife, cut each bundle apart.
- Reseal the edges and use a fork to create ridges around the edges.
- Give each mini pie an egg wash.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
I totally went back for seconds…maybe.