We had Mexican night last night. My cousin’s in town and two of my wonderful friends joined us for dinner and drinks. Guacamole, pico de gallo, tacos, margaritas…and Tres Leches cake.
I made this cake once before, from scratch but this is with a boxed cake mix and it still turned around really well.
Tres Leches Cake
- 1 boxed yellow cake mix
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1 small tub of lite whipped cream
- 5 cups of fruit (your choice)
Prepare the cake according to instructions. I used Pillsbury which called for 3 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and 1 cup of water. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Once the cake is done, take a fork and poke holes in it.
Mix together the evaporated, sweetened condensed and reduced fat milks and pour over the cake. It will look like it’s flooding but it’s okay. It’s flooding with deliciousness.
Set the cake in the refrigerator and let cool completely. Top with whipped cream and fruit and serve.
We also had guacamole and pico de gallo. It was fabulous, too. A little different than my other guacamole I made.
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste (1/8-1/4 teaspoon)
Scoop the avocado from the skins and mix until smooth. Add all other ingredients and combine well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Pico de gallo
- 1 extra large tomato (or 6 medium-sized roma tomatoes), diced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, diced
Combine all ingredients and chill until ready to serve.