Everyday Food Magazine’s November 2011 issue came in the mail yesterday and it’s AWESOME. Thanksgiving is my absolute favorite holiday of the year and this issue boasts about it up and down. I had to make the Crispy Chicken and Apple Salad right away. I hadn’t had a proper meal yet today and it’s 3 pm. So I went to the store and got what I needed, cooked it right away and ATE it right away.
Crispy Chicken and Apple Salad (adapted and modified from Everyday Food Magazine)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 gala apples, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
On a plate, season flour with 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a shallow dish, whisk egg with 1 tablespoon water. On another plate, dish out seasoned bread crumbs. Pat chicken dry and dredge in flour, then dip in egg, letting excess drip off then coat in breadcrumbs.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes, flipping only once. In a small bowl, whisk milk, yogurt, vinegar and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Arrange the lettuce, apples, and dried cranberries on a platter, slice chicken and put on top of lettuce and drizzle with dressing.