This weekend I made my own version of vegetable pizza and a spring salad. There was no meat and from the comments of my company, the meat wasn’t missed! The pizza included yellow, red, and green bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic and onion with mozzarella cheese and the special ingredient, raw arugula tossed with lemon juice added to the top (after being cooked). Thanks for the ideas Allison! The spring salad is from Ms. Theresa (my 2nd mom) in Louisiana. The star players are the sliced strawberries and dressing. Everything was great and I had no complaints. Check out the recipes.
- Pizza dough (enough for a 14”)
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon purple onion, minced
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 ounces arugula
- 1 lemon
Preheat oven according to pizza dough directions. Spread pizza dough to the size of your baking pan. Spread pizza sauce to desired thickness. Spread a thin layer of cheese. Add mushrooms and tomatoes to pizza. Sauté peppers, garlic and onions on high heat for approximately 4 minutes and add a dash of black pepper and salt. Add garlic and onions and sauté for another 30 seconds and spread pepper mixture on pizza. Top with remaining cheese and cook according to directions. Cheese should be golden brown in some spots.
Squeeze lemon juice on the arugula and top the pizza with it.
Spring Salad with Strawberries
- 1 bag of spring salad mix
- 1 bag of romaine lettuce
- 1 container of strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 8 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside to make dressing.
- 1 c oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Shake again just before serving.